Tuesday 17 January 2012

Man-trum

It’s no secret I love Facebook, heck I’ve even written an article touting it’s benefits before. Against the grain seemingly, I stuck it out and swarm against the tirades when everyone in my office kept tearing it to shreds. I was the only one who saw it’s benefits, keeping friendships alive while reconnecting with old ones. For the unsocial ones like me, it helped me make new friends when I moved back to Mombasa after twelve years of being away.

Therefore it irks me when people come to my computer screen and all they see is Facebook, irrespective of the fact that I could be having four other tabs open. Sure, I chat when there’s someone online, but that’s because I really am great at multi-tasking.
I’m a weird blend of characteristics, I can be quite chatty when I feel like, or retreat to my “I don’t feel like talking” cocoon when my mood dips.
And so it’s only natural that when I’m sitted here minding my own bidness, that I’ll log in and should someone say hi, reply. 

But for some reason, it’s a gateway to offering unsolicited opinions and advices. Honestly, who asked you what you think of Facebook? If it’s of no benefit to you, why should you talk like your opinion is what counts most?
It baffles me that some even go to the extent of trashing this social networking phenomena terming it a total waste of time, yet they don’t seem to think tonnes of minutes spent on Yahoo messenger is an office no-no as well.

So today something similar happened, which reminded me of this question I get asked all the time, “Do you ever work?” The most ironic thing is; my boss has practically never complained to me that my output is wanting. Sure he did have reservations about my facebooking, but that was before he joined the bandwagon himself.
But no, some miss goody two shoes just won’t keep their nonsensical opinions to themselves. I no longer bother to explain my self.

So why pray tell am I ranting and raving like a raging lunatic you ask? Because I can. That’s the most honest answer I can give.
You see for me, thanks to Serah Moko tagging me in her note by poet extraordinaire Maya Angelou, I discovered you could write notes and post them! No biggie you say? Well for me, it was like Christopher Columbus discovering The New World.
Facebook has given me a platform to share my writings with my friends, as well the drive to keep writing. If it wasn’t for that one application (Serah I shall forever be grateful), I’d have probably given up on this so called gift after my two attempts at professional writing failed miserably.

Through Facebook, I have forged strong alliances, but most of all, established relationships with family members too far away to drop by and say hi to, some of whom I’m yet to meet. Damn what the haters might say, Facebook to me is a gift I cherish, because I’m not outgoing and thus for those of us who are socially challenged, opening up to total strangers can be a matter of epic proportions.
My point is, before you patronize or invalidate someone else'S perpective, walk a mile in their shoes. While you’re at it, find out the shoe’s designer, the cobbler who repaired it, heck, find out the wearer’s outlook on life. I guarantee you you’ll be amazed at how much you overlook when you judge a book by it’s cover and forget that the content inside is a fusion of experiences, creative writing and editorial genius. Just a thought.

Kibali

No comments:

Post a Comment